Corrupt messages in the queue: postfix 2.0.22, mailscanner 4.30.3

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Tue May 11 23:51:29 IST 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:05:27PM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:47:04PM +0100, Drew Marshall wrote:
> > Oh well back to square one, those are fine. I noticed the logs
> > mentioning the 'active' queue but on re-reading that's where the message
> > will be after it's been picked up from incoming ready for delivery.
> > In your original mail you mention that 'some of the mail' is being
> > corrupted. Not all? If so have you got one of these corrupt files? Can
> > you open the envelope part of the message (Just cd in to the message and
> > then open the file named the same as the message). Are there any strange
> > headers? If there was a MS/ Postfix queue problem then I would expect
> > all the mail to be marked as corrupt. If it's just some, then we need to
> > look at what MS is adding to the message, like have you non RFC
> > characters in your X-%your-site%-MailScanner setting?
> The files are moved to the corrupt folder, and appear to only have a
> single file per message:
>
>     transwarp# pwd
>     /var/spool/postfix/corrupt
>     transwarp# ls -l
>     total 293
>     -r--------  1 postfix  postfix   4771 May 11 18:52 0AF73EA5F
>     -r--------  1 postfix  postfix   8750 May 11 22:45 F3137EAA2
>
> I've attached F3137EAA2 to this email for you to look at.

As we've all just seen postfix stores queuefiles without line breaks. To
more conveniently see what's in a postfix queuefile use postcat.

postcat F3137EAA2 | head -30

will usually show you most of the headers. Or you could pipe into less
instead.

-Eric Rz.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk