[Slightly OT] New Spam Fighting Technique

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Tue May 11 03:18:00 IST 2004

On May 7, 2004, at 7:55 PM, John Rudd wrote:

> (I'm currently using that script at home, but haven't tried it out at
> work yet.)

I ran it as an experiment at work this last Sunday.

Compared to previous Sundays (our weekends tend to be much lighter than
during the week), I saw a 10% drop in our Spam stats (though, we set
the spam score at 8, so that means "a reduction of 10% in the number of
messages which scored 8 or higher", the number of messages that scored
lower than 8 might have been reduced more), but the big surprise was
with viruses:

90% drop in virus stats

And a 30%-40% drop in total messages processed (though, all regular
email seems to have passed through without a problem, so another reason
to suspect that the number of messages whose score is between 5 and 8
went down more than 10%).

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk