{SPAM} Emails Not Bouncing

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon May 10 23:58:12 IST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 23:45, NateDog wrote:
> Ah that's cool no prob.  But do you have any ideas for me?  Like any
> alternatives?  The only problem I have really is that an email from a new
> customer gets sent.  And let's say it's detected as spam.  They have no idea
> if it's caught as spam and didn't go through or whatever you know what I
> mean?  I'm okay with the virus warnings not being kicked back to the sender
> because the person it was going to inside our network will get an email
> saying it had a virus and was deleted.  Anyways.....I'm open to suggestions
> :)

I created custom spamassassin rules which matched the names of our
products in the body of messages, this got rid of almost all of the
false positives from our clients.

Also throwing DCC, Razor, Pyzor and a handful of RBL's into the
spamassassin mix helps to raise the average spam score, meaning you can
set your threshold a little higher and avoid some of the marginal false
positives.

Keep an eye on the spamassassin rules the false positives match and
tweak their scores if necessary

Finally consider only blocking high scoring spam and just tagging (or
tagging and stripping) low scoring spam, then lower your high score to
be just above the highest false positives you are getting.  That way you
get rid of most spam, but don't lose real mail.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.