General questions about notifying sender's

DNSAdmin dnsadmin at 1BIGTHINK.COM
Mon May 10 21:04:42 IST 2004

At 02:03 PM 5/10/2004, you wrote:
>Morning everyone.
>
>Just thought i'd ask a few, general questions about notifying senders and
>users regarding content being blocked and what have you.
>
>For the most part, I would imagine it is a good idea to 'not' notify
>senders of blocked content? Especially in the case of viruses, because a
>good portion of virus relayed emails have forged headers. For the most
>part, I have disabled notifying senders.
>
>However, what about blocked content? Is there a general rule of thumb
>regarding that media? For example, let's say a legit person tries to email
>myself or another person in my company with an attachment of some sort that
>is real. Now, if MS blocks it (just generally speaking here) for blocked
>content, the sender would receive a message saying the content was blocked,
>correct? Is that generally a good practice to follow? Same question could
>be posed when speaking of my users.
>
>Just really wanted to get some general recommendations on this matter and
>if there is a recommended setup.
>
>As it stands right now, I have the following in my MailScanner.conf:
>
>.
>Notify Senders = no
>
>Notify Senders Of Viruses = no
>
>Notify Senders Of Blocked Filenames Or Filetypes = no
>
>Notify Senders Of Other Blocked Content = no
>
>Never Notify Senders Of Precedence = list bulk
>

>Silent Viruses = HTML-IFrame All-Viruses
>
>Still Deliver Silent Viruses = no
>
>For the most part, I can see sending some type of notifications to my
>users, but I question about sending notifications to people outside our
>company.
>
>Just thought i'd ask.
>
>Jason

Hello Jason,

You will get some variance in the manner in which people handle this. But,
yes, do not notify senders outside of your organization. I have Notify
Senders = ruleset, because I do not want my internal users accidentally
sending a virus and I want them to know that they have a virus,
immediately, if that is the case. So, I notify any user within domains that
I allow to relay on our server (i.e. all hosted domains).

I notify the admin user of all content blocked, because I do see some valid
files getting blocked as a result of the filenames.rules.

Some of the admins here can offer better, more detailed advice. I just have
not seen them post yet. Give them a few minutes.

Cheers,
Glenn

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk