MailScanner stops running

Gib Gilbertson Jr. gib at TMISNET.COM
Sat May 8 23:42:15 IST 2004

Hi All.

I encountered a problem today which is very strange. My system has been
chugging along for quite a while now, and except for the problem with
corrupt bayes database every 2 or 3 days it has ran great. This morning
when I check I see there are over 10k messages sitting in /var/spool/mqueue.in.

I check the logs and can see that MailScanner isn't running. Because of the
huge number of mails cued up I turn off spamassassin in MailScanner.conf
and restart MailScanner. Within about 15 minutes it had gone through all
the messages.

Now for the problem. After getting things working again, I check my logs
and find this error message as each child process dies and MailScanner
tries to restart..

May  8 04:01:11 MailScanner[33191]: MailScanner child dying of old age
May  8 04:01:13 MailScanner[73486]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version 4.26.8 starting...
May  8 04:01:25 MailScanner[73531]: Could not read directory
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
May  8 04:01:25 MailScanner[73531]: Error in configuration file line 113,
directory /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine for quarantinedir does not
exist (or is not readable)

Nothing changed on the sever. No configuration files, quarantine directory,
etc.. I'm the only one that makes changes to the system.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

gib

      Gib Gilbertson Jr.