Mailscanner memory-size increasing

Leen Besselink leen at wirehub.nl
Sat May 8 11:42:59 IST 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Leen Besselink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First off it'd like to see I think Mailscanner got a lot of things right,
> great stuff.
>
> I've hit a snag so it seems.
>
> Now that the server was down, I started to keep a closer eye on that one
> MailScanner process and I noticed that at one point in time it was 50 MB,
> then the logfile said it died of old age, but the new process was also
> almost 50 MB. So I'm thinking is it forked by the process that died of old
> age ? or it's parent (with only 19 MB of memory usage).

well I looked at the code, it's definitly the parent, but I do still see
the memory increase over time:

   procs                      memory    swap          io     system     cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us sy  id

 1  0  0  18664  21200  17184  61280   0   0     0   297  152   169  62 38   0

just a bit later:

 0  0  0  18820  30736  17724  60300   0   0     0    30  102     9   0  0 100

swpd is up.

although not the size of MailScanner, so it aint it, then how the hell did
I get the memory/swap get exhausted. There is one very simple explanation,
I guess:

rsync (backup) + the size of the quarantine-directory.

I'll blame that for now.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk