Serious Problem

NateDog natedog550 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 7 15:09:09 IST 2004

Mail Scanner Version I downloaded: MailScanner-4.30.3-2.suse.tar.gz
SpamAssassin: 2.63
F-Prot: 4.4.1

I'm having a serious problem all of a sudden.  I'm running SuSE 9.0 x86_64
and hadn't had a problem with mail scanner and have run it on several boxes.
But on this one box I hadn't actually gone live with it until yesterday.
Once on the internet the usual spam crap started coming in.  Mail Scanner's
doing an awesome job keeping the crap out.  But I think I've got some kind
of memory leak or something.  I'm using qpopper - in xinetd for user's
retrieval of email - that's getting hung up too I think because of this
problem.

What it does is all of a sudden my server starts lagging way down.  I did a
top and checked to see what was hanging.  Mail Scanner was showing like 80%
processor (I understand that because it's scanning email of course) and the
memory was like about 83%.  But it takes a while before you start to see a
slow down or lag problem.  If I restart the machine it clears up of course
but then not too much later it starts slowing way way down.  But the whole
machine lags bad which is so wierd because this machine is so friggin fast.
But I didn't see this problem until I went live and upgraded to this Mail
Scanner version and turned on qpopper.  And when I run the script in the
rc.d directory to shutdown MailScanner it says it shuts down but I do a top
and there are still like one or two Mail Scanners in there so I pkill them.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

--
Nathan Peters

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk