Way OT: Virus scanning HTTP

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Thu May 6 19:04:33 IST 2004

I'm looking for a good open source solution to scan user's HTTP traffic.
I've managed to eliminate almost 100% of incoming viruses using
MailScanner+ClamAV+BitDefender/F-Prot/Sophos/Antivir, but would like to
also be able to manage incoming viruses/trojans/worms hidden in web pages
or downloaded through hotmail/yahoo/etc. accounts.

I use Squid most everywhere, without redirectors like squirm or
squidGuard. I've looked at "viralator", squid-vscan, and a few others, but
none as "easy" to install as, for example, Trend Micro's VirusWall for
HTTP.

The thing is, I would prefer something Open Source, mostly because local
support for Trend Micro products doesn't satisfy my particular needs; that
and the fact that with Open Source you get a whole community of peers for
support, not just 1 or 2 people earning close to minimum wage who happened
to read the manuals once and can follow a script on screen when you call
and who couldn't find an answer using Google if their life depended on it
(not that I mean that *all* AV support personnel work in such conditions,
but *none of them* should, even if *some* do).

Reply off-list unless it has to do something with MailScanner - which I
doubt. Thanks for your time.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk