KickMessage/qmgr error

Matt Roberts matt at dworkin.org
Sat May 1 21:40:04 IST 2004

Hi

MailScanner seems to work just fine (all appropriate spam and virus
notifications/quarantining, messages received and delivered ok).  However,
after every batch examination by MailScanner I get this message in my mail log:

May  1 15:49:52 Prime MailScanner[7213]: KickMessage failed as couldn't write
to /var/spool/postfix/public/qmgr, No such device or address

I'm using Postfix 2.0.19 with most recent MailScanner (4.22?) all installed
from source (pet hate of RPMs) on SuSE 8.2 with kernel 2.4.20 (with all
current security patches but nothing more).

Postfix settings in MailScanner.conf:

Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix.in/deferred
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
MTA = postfix

Most relevant file system listings:

ls -l /var/spool -l
drwxr-xr-x  15 root    postfix  360 Dec 15 23:09 postfix
drwxr-xr-x  14 root    postfix  336 Apr 29 16:36 postfix.in

ls -l /var/spool/postfix
drwx------  18 postfix root     432 May  1 16:14 incoming
drwx--x---   2 postfix maildrop 168 Apr 29 19:12 public

ls -l /var/spool/postfix/public
srw-rw-rw-   1 postfix  postfix   0 Apr 29 19:12 qmgr

On a second server I manage this error does not occur, the only difference
between the two being that it runs Postfix 2.0.16 and:

ls -l /var/spool/postfix/public
prw--w--w-   1 postfix  postfix   0 May  1 20:17 qmgr

I beleive that between 2.0.16 and 2.0.19 postfix moved from using its old qmgr
to nqmgr as default.  Not sure if that relates to the difference in listing
between 'p' and 's' (pipe and socket I assume?)

If the problem qmgr is deleted and recreated with mknod as a pipe it fails for
postfix before even getting to test it with MailScanner.  Deleteing is and
letting psotfix recreate it on startup creates it as the socket listing above.

To the best of my knowledge the only drawback of this whole thing is a long-
ish delay between MailScanner processing and actual message delivery.  No idea
what kickmessage relates to, but I had thought it was to coerce qmgr into not
waiting around for its normal polling cycle and just deliver the messages then
and there?

Thanks for any help, MailScanner (even with this error) is proving to be a
real boon!

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk