Help with queue backup

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sat May 1 10:58:35 IST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 10:38, Peter Bonivart wrote:
> 3. The two big r/w intensive directories are /var/spool/mqueue and
> /var/spool/mqueue.in (if you use default MS directories), that's why you
> load c0t0d0s7 and c0t0d0s4 (d3) so much. They should be spread to two
> different disks, preferably to two different controllers as well.
>
> I guess you have two 18 GB internal drives and an external array, maybe
> an A1000 or similar? You could change the incoming queue directory
> (/var/spool/mqueue.in) to /export/home/mqueue.in or /var/mail/mqueue.in
> temporarily to test how it will perform. If that works better for you.
> you should think about some repartitioning of those big partitions, or
> you could just keep it that way if it doesn't bother you.

Peter, Whilst I agree with everything else you've said I have a
different understanding on the above issue.
My understanding is that mqueue.in and mqueue should be on the same
partition, because then to move files between directories all
MailScanner needs to do is a link/unlink action.  By splitting the
spools onto different partitions MailScanner needs to actually copy the
files, adding read and write overhead.
I'd guess this is less of an issue if you routinely change clean
messages (by using Sign Clean Messages for example), since this requires
MS to rebuild the message anyway (which in itself can be a big
performance hit).

One further note for the archives (not relevent to the original poster
who is running Solaris 8 I think), the noatime flag was only added to
Solaris on Solaris 7 or 8 (can't remember which, but I have tried to use
it on a Solaris 2.6 machine and failed).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.