tao Linux

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Sat May 1 02:39:29 IST 2004

1. Well the performance of RH 3.0 definitely beats 7.x
2. It's supported for security upgrades/updates :) either by up2date (RH) or
   yum
3. RH 3.0 is about 4.5 years from end-of life for support

> BTW, WhiteBox, as I recall, had some issues with their installation
> package

Not really even the pre-final-release worked fine for us.

> (was there even an X interface?)

Absolutely there was was/is X-interface

> How would you rate the installation
> process? A friend of mine at one of the US government laboratories here
> has
> highly recommended WB, but they rolled their own installation scripts for
> convenience., tailoring it more to their needs. They have more hands there
> than we do here, though.

What your friend was probably referring to is an automated install. We've
created a CD that we pop into a box and simply boot the system, have a
coffee and come back to an installed system ready to rumble.

> Thank you very much for your time and thoughts.

Glad to help and if you need more pointers on automated install please drop
me a line off list.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
President