Important ZMailer patch

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Wed Mar 31 19:51:47 IST 2004

Hi Julian,

I've configured MailScanner to not do any internal RBL, but leave them all to
SpamAssassin so I don't block every RBL'd IP, but I seriously consider them
when it hits more than one...

Then I noticed a couple of surprising false positives and, analyzing them, I
found that SpamAssassin was hitting rules it shouldn't on the first hop IP,
even when the message was properly relayed...

I started looking at the ZMailer queue files and suddenly noticed that, at
the time MailScanner gets the message, ZMailer HAS NOT YET added its own
'Received:' header (and there's no way to do it otherwise)... the info is in
the ZMailer envelope, but not in the header.

So, this means that, not only SA is doing its RBL on first hops even when a
RBL rule is a '-notfirsthop' one, but actually, it wasn't doing RBL on the
last hop at all :-((((

This is not a problem if you enable RBLs in MailScanner itself, since that is
the only IP MailScanner will check against the RBLs, but if I let only SA do
RBL, it's completely ignoring the last (most important) hop.

So... I wrote a patch to ZMailer.pm that adds a fake 'Received:' header just
before handing the message to SpamAssassin (in OriginalMsgHeaders).

I'm adding the patch to 4.29.6 ZMailer.pm, as well as the complete file.

We're also working in a couple more things ZMailer related, I'll be sending
them soon.

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz