Mailscanner plus SpamAssassin and CRM114

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Mon Mar 29 16:09:09 IST 2004

It's not a bayes engine ... It's a program written in the crm language,
which was designed to do filtering/diff processing. It's like saying Perl is
a bayes engine since SA is a perl based program. They do much, much more
than bayes processing and, like SA much of it is built around regex (kind of
or close to) processing. It's the learning process that is so much different
and the fact that it has a kind of "regex close" processing that allows it
to catch mutexes of the same type with out changing or adding rules. rather
than =~ /big bodypart/i it would be match [sales pitch] where sales pitch
has a learned value and might pertain to nuts, bolts, bigger body parts. CRM
is the reverse of SA in that it's default is to deny and it learns from FPs.
In fact the author states feeding it large corpuses of spam/ham is actually
detrimental to it's accuracy and recommends you not even use his optional
spam.css/nonspam.css files and learn with a blank slate... Supposedly your
FPs will drop to near zero in 3 days or less on the average where as SA
requires a baseline of 200 (recommended) spams before it will even use the
bayes filtering.

If you study the concept it looks pretty good, but there doesn't really
appear to be a reasonable way to implement it site wide and it appears it
should be used per user... kind of breaks the possibility if integrating in
a virtual user environment. Imagine SA running without having to use
thousands of rules, huge bayes databases, all manner of constantly changing
local rules. Imaging if it read and understood the context of the email,
that is more of a description of the goal of mailfilter.crm