Getting Email Addresses?

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at ELIRION.NET
Sun Mar 28 14:57:10 IST 2004

Mike McMullen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've had some employees tell me that after visiting certain
> web pages at certain sites, they start getting spam email from
> those sites. However, they say they didn't enter their email
> address.
>
> I haven't verified this myself but is this possible? If so how
> is it done? Has anyone heard of this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Well, one way is this: The page includes an FTP link to a 1 x 1 pixel
image, and the browser sends the user's e-mail address as an anonymous
FTP password when logging into the FTP server to retrieve the image.

Regards,

        Richard.