Mailscanner as a MailGateway

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 27 18:13:58 GMT 2004

At 16:24 27/03/2004, you wrote:
>I am planning to use the Mailscanner as a mailgateway sitting between my
>Exchange Server and ISP to filter the virus/spam.
>
>I am not very good at Linux, but I like it better than Windowz...
>
>Can some of you suggest, what is the easy distribution/version of Linux
>that I can use for this project?

RedHat Linux will be the easiest to setup with MailScanner. I would advise
you use sendmail or Exim as the mail transport system.

>Do you recommend this option
><http://opencomputing.sourceforge.net/>http://opencomputing.sourceforge.net/ ?

You would be better off using sendmail. Their setup is for Qmail which is a
right nuisance to use.
For your sendmail setup, you need to put
yourdomain.com  RELAY
in the "access" table, and
yourdomain.com  esmtp:[1.2.3.4]
in the "mailertable". Change 1.2.3.4 to the IP address of your Exchange server.

Get all the mail routing working before you install MailScanner. Much
easier to diagnose problems that way. Once you are happy that the mail is
flowing as it should be, then install MailScanner.
--
Julian Field