Solved? was MailScanner or Sendmail dropping the ball? (fwd)

MailScanner Mailbox mailscan at PRIS.CA
Fri Mar 26 17:06:57 GMT 2004

Hello All

I believe I have found why some mail is being processed and some is not
however I'm not to sure what to do about it, does MS touch the priority in
the queue file at all?

Here is what I have found:

An email comes in to mqueue.in is processed by MS and dumped into mqueue,
I have queue runners checking the queue every 5 minutes as well as the
second sendmail process doing its queue runs. Some mail is processed but
most is not. I checked the qf files on those emails that are not being
processed and found an unusually high priority number see below.

qf and df file in /var/spool/mqueue
I found this in the queue almost 10 hours later... untouched

-rw-------   1 root     root      174237 Mar 24 13:20 dfi2OKJxXe010006
-rw-------   1 root     root        1347 Mar 24 13:33 qfi2OKJxXe010006

interesting bit of qf file

V6
T1080159600
K0
N0
P235025
Fbs
$_[207.102.244.xxx]
$rESMTP
$svh2k3vcr.teckcominco.loc
${daemon_flags}
${if_addr}199.60.237.4

Note that the K and N flags show that this particular message has never
been processed by any of the queue runners. If I run sendmail with the
following switches "sendmail -qIi2OKJxXe010006 -v" nadda, she doesn't
move. However if I lower the priority or delete the P flag altogether I
can send the email quite easily.

So my question is.... I don't even know what my question is as I have no
idea why this is doing this. I know how sendmail sets the priority level
on particular messages but but but... some of these are destined for
machines within our own network or out in the world, and some even
locally.

any ideas?

thx

Rick