Server Crash

Steve Thomas lists at STHOMAS.NET
Thu Mar 25 17:56:20 GMT 2004

I had two servers lock on me over the weekend. Nothing in the logs to indicate what the problem was. Couldn't login from the console, could ping but no network services responded. Had to hard-boot to get them running again.

The only services/software that both of these machines run and that are open to the world are apache and bind. They both run mail, but one's using exim/mailscanner and the other's just using sendmail as the backup mx.

I did a pretty thorough search for rootkits and such (my tripwire dbs are horribly out of date, I'm afraid) and didn't find any evidence of an intrusion on either machine. Since no other machines on our network were hosed, I chalked it up to a new apache or bind DOS attack and started hoping that a fix would be out soon.

--
"I have read your book and much like it."
- Moses Hadas (1900-1966)