McAfee autoupdate & wrapper

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Wed Mar 24 18:25:43 GMT 2004

"Randal, Phil" <prandal at HEREFORDSHIRE.GOV.UK> wrote:

>>You're right ! I believe that it's better to check for "released"
>>rather than download raw tar from NAI every hour.
>
>If NAI didn't release according to arbitrary schedules that would be fine.
>But they wait till it is seen in the wild, then wait some more, and then
>um and ah, and then wait, and wait some more, and then (maybe) release
>updated DAT files.

I recently posted a script which scrapes NAI's web site looking for a new
virus that is detected by a future dat release and that has a link to an
extra.dat on its description page, which it downloads and installs. I'm
not convinced it's that useful because NAI are also slow to put extra.dat
links up on their web pages (or at least they were during the recent
Mydoom/Netsky/Bagle insanity).

>They're going to move to daily DAT file releases soon, apparently,
>but even that's not good enough.  It only takes a few hours or less
>for a virus to spread worldwide.

I've given up relying on NAI and use ClamAV too, which gives me much
more fluffy feelings.

Tony.
LANDS END TO ST DAVIDS HEAD INCLUDING THE BRISTOL CHANNEL: NORTH 4 OR 5
BACKING NORTHWEST 3 OR 4 OVERNIGHT, VEERING NORTH OR NORTHEAST 5 OR 6 ON
THURSDAY. OCCASIONAL RAIN ON THURSDAY. MODERATE OR GOOD. SLIGHT TO MODERATE,
OCCASIONAL ROUGH IN OPEN WATER.