Questions...

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Mar 24 16:42:16 GMT 2004

John Wilcock wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:14:57 -0000, Spicer, Kevin wrote:
>> Advise your client to change the extension of the zip
> files.  It only unpacks zips based on extension.
>
> Is this a good thing? It means that I could get an exe (or whatever)
> file past MailScanner by zipping it and renaming to, say, .zipp.
> Social engineering does the rest.
>
> Julian, how about (optionally?) unpacking anything that the file
> command thinks is an archive?

Not wishing to steal Julian's thunder but I think you'll find the problem is that the zip file unpacking has to take place before the file command is run (in order for the file command to scan the unpacked files) therefore this isn't as simple as it sounds

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.