McAfee autoupdate & wrapper

Randal, Phil prandal at HEREFORDSHIRE.GOV.UK
Wed Mar 24 15:46:25 GMT 2004

>You're right ! I believe that it's better to check for "released"
>rather than download raw tar from NAI every hour.

If NAI didn't release according to arbitrary schedules that would be fine.

But they wait till it is seen in the wild, then wait some more, and then
um and ah, and then wait, and wait some more, and then (maybe) release
updated DAT files.

They're going to move to daily DAT file releases soon, apparently,
but even that's not good enough.  It only takes a few hours or less
for a virus to spread worldwide.

Cheers,

Phil