Children and Mailscanner halting & atachments

Howard Robinson howard at harper-adams.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 15:28:47 GMT 2004

Hi
I have 3 problems that may or may not be connected but all
occurred since upgrading to 4.29.2-1 last week.
1) I have number of children set to 1.I would therefore expected a
maximum of 2 Mailscanner processes (1 parent 1 child) and 4
sendmail processes (one for each in and out queue for each
process).
Have I got this wrong? I thought not after reading some of the FAQs
on it.
After 'MailScanner start' I see more than  2 MailScanners and
currently there are 3 with 11 sendmails running. None are shown
as defunct so it doesn't look like one is about to clear whilst
another is starting.

2) I had reduced the number of Children from 5 as I was having
problems MailScanner this morning. It showed 9 MailScanners and
I think it was 15 sendmails running. Mail was getting to the
mqueue.in directory but not being processed. It appeared to stop
processing at 05:10 (this has happened before but a restart sorted
it out). I stopped Mailscanner and then restarted the server.This
time the CPU processing went to 100% and stayed there.
I stopped MailScanner and altered the number of children to reduce
memory usage. After a struggle the backlog of emails (3000)
cleared and usage is now sensible at 60-80% idle.

3) If I send multiple attachments I get {blocked content} if I send
them separately they go through.
I have maximum number of attachments set to 200 but am only
attaching 10!

Thanks

Regards

Howard Robinson
(Senior Technical Development Officer)
Harper Adams University College
Edgmond
Newport
Shropshire
TF10 8NB UK

E-mail: hrobinson at harper-adams.ac.uk
Tel.  : +44(0)1952 820280 Via switchboard
      : +44(0)1952 815253 Direct line
Fax.  : +44(0)1952 814783
College Web site http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk