McAfee autoupdate & wrapper

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Wed Mar 24 14:07:33 GMT 2004

Rabellino Sergio <rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT> wrote:

> today I've got my hands on these scripts, 'cause something was wrong in
> my installation, so these was fully rewritten to get them more reliable,
> if the download fails and to support the extra dat features, and a proxy
> if needed.

I've had a quick look at your new scripts. I like the idea of getting
uvscan's idea of the current dat version rather than believing the
filesystem, and the proxy support is useful. I'm less convinced by the
retry support, since IME NAI's web site is not unreliable and the cron
job will run again soon anyway.

There are some problems:

(1) You've broken the error handling by removing -e from the #!/bin/sh
line, which prevented the script from stumbling on blindly after an error.
Instead you've added some ad-hoc error handling such as the pointless
wget checking, but missed out checks for directory creation etc.

(2) You've broken backwards compatibility by removing the -f (force)
option.

(3) The directory layout changes are gratuitous, and are not suitable
for general use because of the lack of support from the install script.

(4) You haven't added command-line options for the new proxy and retry
features.

(5) The extra.dat support is not necessary.

(6) The code formatting is a disaster.

If you can address these problems and provide a clean patch against
the current mcafee-autoupdate script I'll have a look at merging them.

Tony.
SHANNON: NORTHERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER. OCCASIONAL RAIN. GOOD
BECOMING MODERATE.