Reloading MS service via email?

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Mar 24 09:00:27 GMT 2004

The problem with doping it automatically when a mail is received is that it doesn't scale well and it becomes very easy to DOS your  server.  Sending a mail causing a HUP a couple of times a minute would pretty quickly stop any mail from getting processed at all.   Much better to just do it periodically, even maybe craft an auto-reply to the message that says 'your request has been processed, changes will be effective from <time>'

However, if you do use sudo its worth noting that sudo can be configured to restrict the exact commandline not just the program name, so you could give the mail user only permission to run 'pkill -HUP MailScanner' for example.

Depending on how many settings you need to access a better solution may be to use a custom config function to look up the blacklist values in a database, and just have your scripts update the database.  This would probably scale better, and avoids the DOS risk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Kipness [mailto:mkipness at GENIANT.COM]
Sent: 23 March 2004 22:15
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Reloading MS service via email?

I dont' like this method because if a user is looking to whitelist someone quick, they need to wait for an hour. If I was going to go this route, I would create a script that reloads MS every 5 minutes, but only after it reads the white and blacklist and verifies that there are additions to the files.

Max

  _____