Mounting mqueue.in as a tempfs...on FreeBSD

Ken Anderson (Pacific Internet) ka at PACIFIC.NET
Tue Mar 23 23:52:07 GMT 2004

Mounting MailScanner's incoming dir in tempfs IS a good idea, since you
will not lose mail if the machine reboots due to the way MailScanner works.

Mounting mqueue.in or mqueue in tempfs IS NOT a good idea because you
will lose mail if the machine ever reboots while there is mail in these
directories.

Of course if it's worth the risk of lost mail, you could put the box on
a good ups, shutdown sendmail, save off the mqueue.in and mqueue
directories to disk and restore them after reboot.

I'm not sure of any case where it's worth the risk of lost mail though.
If you have 1.5 million messages to scan, then you can probably afford
another MS box!

Ken A
Pacific.Net