MailScanner taking tons of cpu/mem and halting my server

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Tue Mar 23 22:38:06 GMT 2004

James Gray wrote:
> I once inherited a Solaris system that was configured with 2 drives in a
> RAID5 with one hot spare.  How did the space cadet who configured the
> server accomplish this feat you ask?
>
> Well, they simply partitioned each drive into two slices.  Voila! Four
> separate partitions and DiskSuite[1] was happy: 3 slices into RAID5, the
> 4th becoming the "hot spare".  (Technical bit: The metastat databases
> were on different drives)  When I went to manglement to ask them for
> some $$$ to buy another drive and fix the problem, the response was "but
> $PREVIOUS_ADMIN said this was fully redundant!".

It wasn't completely happy since it even complains about metadevices on
the same controller. However, nothing can stop a clueless admin.

> So I just backed everything up and turned it into a RAID-0 with no hot
> spare.  Some people should not be allowed NEAR computers :P

Thereby retaining the non-existing redundancy. ;-)

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.25-14,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.30, ClamAV 0.67 + GMP 4.1.2, MailStats 0.25