Mounting mqueue.in as a tempfs...on FreeBSD

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Tue Mar 23 19:03:30 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

I noticed that some people have mounted their mqueue.in as a temporary
filesystem to increase performance on their system. This sounds very
enticing and something I would like to look into. I do have a couple of
questions though.

Obviously there is a performance advantage to this. Is there any
disadvantage to this? Any possibility of loosing email if the system crashes?
Anyone have a rough estimate of the performance gain for this setup? Anyone
benchmarked this before and after?

Lastly, anyone set this up on FreeBSD? I skimmed through the man pages and
found a command that should work, but I get a funky message when I attempt
to do it:

mailmg# mount -t mfs -o -s1048576 /dev/da0s1b /var/spool/mqueue.in/
Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 89

I appreciate the help

Jason