Spam scoring for SBL+XBL

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 23 11:10:14 GMT 2004

Declan Grady wrote:

>Hi,
>(Using MailScanner-4.29.2+ F-prot+ SpamAssassin-2.55)
>From searching the archives I found that to get the SBL+XBL to add to the
>spamassassin score, I added the lines:
>
>header RCVD_IN_SPAMHAUS_SBL+XBL eval:check_rbl_txt('sbl-xbl',
>'sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.')
>describe RCVD_IN_SPAMHAUS_SBL+XBL Listed in SPAMHAUS SBL+XBL
>tflags RCVD_IN_SPAMHAUS_SBL+XBL net
>score RCVD_IN_SPAMHAUS_SBL+XBL 4
>
>to my '/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf' file, and restarted MailScanner.
>My MailScanner.conf contains the line:
>SpamAssassin Site Rules Dir = /etc/mail/spamassassin
>
>and it does seem to pickup the bigevil.cf rules file from there.
>
>SInce then, I got another spam (surprise surprise) which should have triggered
>this rule, but doesnt seem to have.

>        required 4.1, BAYES_90 3.00, BigEvilList_29 3.00,
>        BigEvilList_41 3.00, CLICK_BELOW 0.00, HTML_70_80 0.33,
>        HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_04 1.41, HTML_LINK_CLICK_HERE 0.10,
>        HTML_WEB_BUGS 0.10, MAILTO_TO_REMOVE 0.27, MAILTO_WITH_SUBJ 0.57,
>        MAILTO_WITH_SUBJ_REMOVE 0.50, MIME_HTML_ONLY 0.10, SUBJ_REMOVE 0.62)
>
>I thought I should see the extra score of 4.
>
>What am I missing ?
>

>Thanks,
>Declan

from what i can gather, most of the custom stuf doesnt overlap that much
(which makes sense) - so if your message triggers bigevil it can be
because it was unlikely to trigger other rules, or possibly BLs.
That report you posted shows no BLs at all - not really very suss yet.
If shows heaps of BLs but not sbl+xbl then i would be suss, spamhaus is
unreal cant believe i was using this earlier :)
You should be able to drop any legally formated cf intot hat dir and it
will be used by SA.