John P Lang johnl at
Tue Mar 23 06:50:39 GMT 2004


I didn't even notice a change.  I installed it on two boxes.
1 - RH7.3 1Ghz Ath 512mb RAM.  Approx 35K messages a day without a hitch.
2 - RH9 2.6 P4 1.0 Ghz RAM.  Approx 5K messages a day.  Didn't even flinch.
Mail queue's didn't have any noticeable change all day yesterday or today.


The result, sadly, was disaster!  A steadily increasing volume of mail
built up in /var/spool/ and I stupidly didn't notice it, because
enough mail still got processed that I didn't realise there was a serious
problem.  I can't see anything in the logs reporting an error, and haven't
yet worked out what went wrong.  Maybe it was simply system overload due
to the size of the file (400 KB), but I didn't see any particular sign of
that at the time.

Once I removed the entries, the mail started to move again.

I would be interested to know if others have had a problem using this


Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service

More information about the MailScanner mailing list