MS, Spamassassin and Bayes

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 23 00:38:31 GMT 2004

Jason Williams wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> As im working to put my mailserver here live, I had a few additional
> questions in regards to getting SA gelling correctly with MS.
>
> I've been following the directions per the FAQ on the MS web site, but
> was
> hoping to get a few things clarified.
>
> Here is a snip of some output that was generated when I initiated
> spamassassin -D --lint
>
> mailmg# spamassassin -D --lint
> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
> debug: running in taint mode? no
> debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
> debug: using "/usr/local/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
> debug: using "/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
> debug: bayes: no dbs present, cannot scan: /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
>
> From what I read on the FAQ, it said that you really dont want your
> user_prefs and bayes to be in /root/.spamassassin
>
> Per the FAQ recommendations, I added the following to my
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>
> auto_whitelist_path        /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
> auto_whitelist_file_mode   0644
> bayes_path                 /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes
> bayes_file_mode            0644
> use_bayes 1
>
> Yet, when I run SA in debugging mode, it is still pointing to the
> /root/.spamassassin directory. Any reason why this is is still
> occuring and
> how to fix it?

the command is
spamassassin -D --prefs-file=/path/to/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint

I also changed the path in .spamassin/user_prefs with (not sure if this
is ideal, but works for me)
bayes_path /var/spool/mailscanner.....

> One last thing. In Mailscanner.conf, there are these a few entries (In
> the
> SA section)
>

> SpamAssassin User State Dir =
>

> What's the difference between the following entries below?
>
> SpamAssassin Site Rules Dir = /etc/mail/spamassassin
>
> SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir =
>

> Just trying to figure out what location and directory does what.
>
> I appreciate it.
>
> Jason

the above can be left at defaults there is no need to change them,,
unless you know you need to - just drop any rules files into
/etc/mail/spamassin and they will work after you restart
mailscanner....dont work about them for the minute - not essential to
having a running spam stopping machine - maybe these are stage 2 =
search the archives and the web for "rules du jour"

good luck
Pete