McAfee "extra" dat files

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Mon Mar 22 22:11:49 GMT 2004

Julian Field wrote:
> If they are put in the right place, will the current mcafee-wrapper use any
> "extra.dat" files?
> Or does the "--extra" command-line option have to be specified to use it?
> If the extra switch is needed, I find it odd no-one has mentioned it before...
> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info

We simply unpack the extra.dat into the top of the uvscan directory.
The mcafee-wrapper picks it up and everything works as expected.  Here
is the set up on our FreeBSD gateway:

 > pwd
/usr/local/uvscan

 > ls
101108-a.zip            e4320upg.pdf            libbsdfv.so.4
names.dat               uninstall-uvscan
clean.dat               extra.dat               license.dat
readme.txt              uvscan
contact.txt             internet.dat            license.txt
scan.dat                uvscan.1
datfiles                libbsdfv.so             messages.dat
signlic.txt             uvscan_secure

 > uvscan --version --dat < /dev/null
Virus Scan for BSD v4.32.0
Copyright (c) 1992-2003 Networks Associates Technology Inc. All rights
reserved.
(408) 988-3832  LICENSED COPY - Nov 27 2003

Scan engine v4.3.20 for BSD.
Virus data file v4340 created Mar 22 2004
Scanning for 87776 viruses, trojans and variants.
Using /usr/local/mcafee/extra.dat to scan for 7 additional virus(es).
                         ^^^^^^^^^

The same is reported by the wrapper.  When scanning for viruses,
McAfee/NAI VirusScan will add a (ED) to the virus name to indicate it
was detected by the Extra Dat file.

Bottom line - unpack the extra.dat into /usr/local/uvscan and rename it
to lower case (if necessary) and that's it.  Both uvscan and MailScanner
will pick it up.

HTH.

James