Fwd: [spamtools] Decomissioning a DNS anti-spam list {Scanned }

Michael St. Laurent mikes at HARTWELLCORP.COM
Mon Mar 22 18:42:32 GMT 2004

Mike Zanker <mailto:mike-sender-1ed4e7 at zanker.org> wrote:
> On 19 March 2004 22:01 -0500 Chris Sweeney <csweeney at OSUBUCKS.ORG>
> wrote:
>
>> Why not just remove the DNS entries from his server so people won't
>> be using his system.  IE remove *.relays.monkeys.com from his DNS so
>> it just doesn't resolve?
>
> Because of the way that recursive DNS queries work. His DNS server(s)
> still have to be queried to find out that it doesn't resolve.

If I were in his position I would put the offending IP Addresses into a
block-list rule on our edge router.  Still not a perfect solution but that's
probably the best that could be done.

--
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation