RBL checks and score count ..

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Mon Mar 22 06:45:19 GMT 2004

Magda Hewryk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When I added new RBLs to MailScanner (SBL+XBL, etc.)I've noticed that even
>if the score is lower than required the messages is actually marked as spam.
>So, if the RBL checks is found in Spamhaus or in the other server than the
>score is not taken into account??  Is the score only working with the
>SpamAssassin services?
>
>I'm very happy with SBL+XBL but I wonder why the messages with the
>SpamCheck lower than required are tagged as spam now.
>
>Regards,
>Magda

checkout
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=mailscanner&D=0&T=0&H=0&O=T&F=&S=

and the FAQs on mailscanner site

this has been covered many times recently, i know cos i asked :)

You need to have a look at whether you prefer MS to use SA to do all the
chekcing and build a score and do your actions based on that - or tell
mailscanner whether yopu want to find the messages in 1 or more RBLs and
then do an action.

Seems like what you are seeing is either MS finding the email in
spamhaus and them marking as spam, or not being found in the RBLs you
have configured in MS (eg spamhaus) and then being scored by SA.

spamhaus appears to be so reliable, or at least combined with spamcop,
that if found in both of those, it would seem the mail can be safely
actioned as spam.