2 MX Servers not Receiving Same Viruses

Daniel Straka dstraka at CASPERCOLLEGE.EDU
Thu Mar 18 22:32:33 GMT 2004

Hello List,

  I'm Dan Straka, I work at Casper College in Casper, WY (USA),
www.caspercollege.edu. I've got my first question for the list.

I've got 2 MX servers (with different cost values in DNS) and the viruses
being intercepted by Sophos on these machines are not the same. For
instance, one is receiving Netsky and Bagle variations but the other one
is not. On the opposite machine, it's receiving Mymail and Sefex
variations but the other does not. I thought this is a bit strange.

Question, does this have to do with the MX cost value being different in
DNS, or are the machines being targeted differently by the virused email?

Thanks,

Dan Straka
Casper College
(307)268-2399