selective virus scanning

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Thu Mar 18 20:35:26 GMT 2004

El 18 Mar 2004 a las 18:16, Julian Field escribió:

> > > I have a large customer (an ISP) that wants to selectively apply virus
> > > scanning based on the recipient address. That is, some target addresses
> > > are to be scanned and some others not.
> > >
> > > I plan to develop a set of CustomConfig.pm functions to handle this...
> > > I'll even modify the code if I must.
> > >
> > > I have a few questions about this:
> > >
> > > The 'Virus Scanning =' setting has a comment that says: 'This switch
> > > actually switches on/off all processing of the email messages. If you
> > > just want to switch off actual virus scanning, then set "Virus Scanners =
> > > none" instead'.
> > >
> > > Does it mean that if "Virus Scanning = no", it won't call SpamAssassin?
>
> No, it doesn't mean that. It won't do the filename/filetype checking if
> Virus Scanning = no.
What about HTML tags, external bodies & other internal vulnerability
assesments?

<snip>

> > > I recall a discussion about what happened when you had a bunch of
> > > recipients in the same message and some wanted one treatment and the rest
> > > another... what I don't recall is if there was a solution to this
> > > (besides configuring the MTA to replicate the message once for every
> > > recipient, which I wouldn't like to do). Is there any nice solution to
> > > this?... otherwise, I'll probably have to hack something in Message.pm
> > > and ZMailer.pm to handle the case thru some kind of message duplication
> > > only when needed.
>
> The sendmail solution to this is to use "queue groups" to set the max
> number of recipients per message to 1. Does ZMailer have a similar capability?

Regretfully, ZMailer doesn't allow this... and I'm trying to avoid it
anyway... We're writing some code inside ZMailer.pm (in ReadQf) that will
call a routine from CustomConfig.pm to check that every recipient has the
same treatment regarding antivirus (maybe we'll generalize this later on,
but this we need it urgent). If the treatment is the same for all, we
just go ahead, otherwise, we'll create 2 new queue files, each with a set
of recipients that require the same treatment, re-queue this files in the
MailScanner input queue directory, erase the original one and return
'false' so the original message is not processed...

This will 'delay' this kind of messages when MailScanner is in 'normal'
mode, but I hope it will do the job.

Thanx for your answers.

--
Mariano Absatz