ClamAV + MailScanner

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Thu Mar 18 17:30:14 GMT 2004

Hi people,

I have 2 questions about ClamAV within MailScanner.

1) Has anyone done some research to find if using clamav as a perl module
is actually faster than invoking it from the command line?... at first
sight one would guess it is, but I'd like to know if someone has some
actual data.

2) For some time, clamav has had a command line option (I don't know if
it's available thru the library, but it should) to scan a mail message.
IIRC, MailScanner doesn't use this option, since it has the message
processing within it... but, with the latest incarnation of encrypted zip
archives containing viruses, I think clamav is adding some signatures (or
intelligence, or both) to detect this kind of viruses, but, obviously, it
needs the complete message, that I think MailScanner doesn't give it...
wouldn't it be nice to be able to handle the whole message to 'clamav --
mbox' (or the equivalent library call) if we find an encrypted archive?

BTW, I think clamav is also adding rar archive processing, does MS handle
them?

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz