Infinite Monkeys and other BLs

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Thu Mar 18 00:07:56 GMT 2004

Chris W. Parker wrote:

>Richard Lynch <mailto:rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU>
>    on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 2:14 PM said:
>

>>This group is *not* responsible for announcing anything
>>about RBLs.  When done it's merely an FYI and  courtesy type thing.
>>

>i'm surprised people are still using bl's at all anymore after what
>happened last year (or was it 2 years ago???) and now this.
>

>chris.

We still use NJABL, SpamCop, and Spamhaus.  They seem to be sufficiently
prepared to handle the DDoS attacks that buried IM, Osirusoft, etc.
Generally speaking, I don't like using RBLs because of the collateral
damage (blocking entire hosts and innocent users) but find them to be a
necessary evil at this point.  What I want is accurate denial of
messages based solely on content rather than where it comes from.
Unfortunately, we're not there yet.