Infinite Monkeys and other BLs

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Wed Mar 17 22:13:50 GMT 2004

James Hammett wrote:

> I would have replied off list except you stated:
>        You seem to be not only a mediocre sysadmin
>
> At 05:21 PM -0300 on 3/17/04, you (Mariano Absatz) wrote:
>
>> Er... why, when there's an open public searchable web archive of the
>> list
>> you're only searching your partial and relatively new (only 4 months
>> old)
>> list archive?
>

> Dude, I'm using the is an ILLUSTRATION of the fact that NO
> ANNOUNCEMENT had been posted during the time which I was reading the
> mailing list.  (When I subscribe to a list I don't go back and read
> the prior 2 months especially when I already get 200+ messages a day
> on the various lists I'm already on.  )
>
> When I discovered the problem I FOUND THE INFORMATION fairly quickly.
>
> Usually, If I am taking down one of my systems, I notify my users
> SEVERAL TIMES (posting frequent regular reminders).

Often these kinds of arguments come down to inaccurate or unrealistic
expectations.  This group is *not* responsible for announcing anything
about RBLs.  When done it's merely an FYI and  courtesy type thing.  You
can't expect the MS community to take on the responsibility of notifying
you about thinks that are, for the most part, external to what this
group is about.   It is simply unreasonable to expect this group to
continuously remind you that some cutoff date for some external facility
is getting close.  You choose which RBLs to use when you install MS and
you are responsible for the configuration after that.  My advise is to
drop it and learn the lesson that you have to pay attention to whatever
is happening with services you decide to use.  That's true for
MailScanner as well as Spamassassin, DCC, Razor, RBLs, etc.