Infinite Monkeys and other BLs

James Hammett james at CHE.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Mar 17 20:17:49 GMT 2004

At 04:07 PM -0500 on 3/17/04, you (Christopher Hicks) wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Kevin Miller wrote:
>>  Shutting down the server might be easier for email admins, but many
>>  would probably never even notice that now they're getting a few
>>  timeouts, and the requests would still be traveling down the pike,
>>  jacking up the bandwidth bill.
>
>They could have put in a lame nameserver record for the subdomain of the
>RBL pointing to 127.0.0.1 and eliminated the subsequent traffic.  That
>would have been kinder, but admittedly less effective.

Several people have posted link to the announcements.  Which I've NOW
taken a look at.  He seems to say, he's doing it because of the
problems of getting DDoS attacks against his system(s).

He also SAYS:
>  I want to assure everyone, most solemly, that I have no plans whatso-
>ever to implement any sorts of ``positive response'' wild-
>cards in any of these zones (as happened, unfortunately, in
>the Osirusoft case).

>The MONKEYS.COM anti-spam zones will remain accessible,
>but content free for an absolute minimum
>of 6 months, and even after that time, ample prior notice
>will be provided, both here and elsewhere, regarding any
>changes.

later,
James

James Hammett
Users Services / Server and Lab Administration
(SLAM)
Information Technology Services ( (ITS)                          CPE 4.442
Chemical Engineering Unix Support                                   471-9701