Work load

Kris Zabriskie zabriskw at ITECH.NET
Wed Mar 17 15:54:01 GMT 2004

I had a small problem with MailScanner.  One of our clients, decided to
install a new e-mail server and leave it as an open relay, and send all
their mail through us.  So they were blasting several thousand of e-mails
through us.  SpamAssassin and MailScanner luckily started yanking these
messages out as quickly as it could.  However, this really quickly tossed a
lot of mail into mqueue.in.  MailScanner had some problems catching back up.
Eventually we got to about 8,000 messages in queue with a huge delay in
messages.  Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, or know what
tweaks I can do to help this if it happends again?  Increasing the # of
child processes doesn't seem to help, and it is currently set to 5.