Load average high!!!

Vinayakam Murugan vinayakm at THEARGONCOMPANY.COM
Mon Mar 15 17:15:26 GMT 2004

Hi

One of our customers has a PIII server with 128 MB RAM and a 20 GB HDD. They
were using MailScanner 4.21 and clamav 0.60 till today. They used to face the
problem of load averages shooting up quite frequently. I upgraded them to
MailScanner 4.28.6-1 and clamav 0.67 today. Some time after the upgrade, I
noticed that the load average was still shooting up to above 5. I stopped
MailScanner. The load average came down almost immediately. I was able to
convince the guy to upgrade to 256 MB RAM. Things seem stable now.

Is this hardware configuration low for a server that is a internet router and
a mail server  for < 1000 messages a day?

--
Warm Regards

Tel: 91-22 - 2288 2163 Ext 121
Help Desk: 91-22 - 2288 2774