Running Multiple Virus Scanners

David While David.While at UCE.AC.UK
Mon Mar 15 14:51:24 GMT 2004

Yes - you are less likely to miss the odd virus with multiple scanners. For example if you look at my stats at http://mail.boys-brigade.org.uk/mrtg you will see that ClamAV has detected one more virus than F-Prot over the same period of time.
David While
Technical Development Manager
Faculty of Computing, Information & English
University of Central England
Tel: 0121 331 6211

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Ron Hahn (Senior Analyst)
Sent: 15 March 2004 14:55
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Running Multiple Virus Scanners

Lads,

I've noticed in some of the threads here that some are running multiple
virus scanners;  For the newbie, is there a particularly good reason for
this?

I have f-prot running at the moment now on a Cobalt RAQ4;  Would I benefit
from adding clam (or any other for that matter)?  Obviously there is a
processing penalty for adding subsequent virus scanners but is there an up
side??

Thanks,

Ron

--
Ron Hahn, Senior Analyst
Management Services Department

the system manager.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses , using the latest available virus signatures .