ZMailer: bounce to authenticated user

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Mon Mar 15 16:35:27 GMT 2004

Hi Julian,

we have an ISP customer that wants to detect when their outbound relays
are being abused by their own customers to send spam.

They already do SMTP authentication in all outbound connections, what
gives us a reliable 'from' address.

We're modifying ZMailer.pm's ReadQF so it finds this information in the
ZMailer envelope and adds it to the $message structure like:
 $message->{authfrom} = $authenticated_as;

Later on, in Message.pm, we'll create a clone of HandleSpamBounce (or,
more likely add a new argument to it) to generate a bounce but, instead
of directing it to the $message->{from}, we'll direct it to
$message->{authfrom}, so the actual customer that was authenticated (or
whose password was stolen) will receive a bounce, asking him/her to not
spam.

We will also need to create a new action like 'bouncetoauthor' or
something like that.

When the stuff is finished, we'll post it so you can add it to the
standard code and, in case the other MTAs support authentication and put
it somewhere in the envelope or hfile or whatever, it can be easily
ported...

What do you think about this?

Would you prefer to use a different structure selector (instead of
'authfrom').

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz