Panda, Norman, BitDefender, F-Secure problems

Mike Osborne mosbornems at WHITESTONETECH.NET
Sun Mar 14 21:23:51 GMT 2004

I have MailScanner 4.28.6-1 working with no problems with F-Prot and
ClamAV on RedHat 7.3 and I been trying to add a third virus scanner.

1. We have all of our PCs on Panda so we have an update license and a
license for the Linux command line scanner pavcl 7.01. If I scan it from
the command line it works great. It doesn't break Mailscanner but it
NEVER catches anything and it NEVER logs anything. Anyone have any ideas
why? I've read about the Panda script patch but it's already in
4.28.6-1. I noticed that the freeware Panda Linux pavcl on their
download is slightly different from the version I downloaded on the
registered users login. The freeware version gives a banner page that
requires hitting a key on the keyboard (enter or space) every single
time it is called with default switches but the registered one does not.
I'm using the registered version. Is anyone using Panda pavcl 7.01 on
MailScanner and actually have it working?

2. I downloaded Norman 5.70 to test and it blows MailScanner out of the
water. It will not deliver mail at all and there are 3 or more [Defunct]
daemons running. 5.70 updated OK because I could put the Key in the
command line switch and did not need to run the Java program to put in
the key for the download to work (server has X but never runs it). It
worked fine from a manual command line virus scan. I checked and 5.70
has only been out a few weeks. I called Norman support and they let me
download 5.60. It scans fine from the command line and it does not blow
up MailScanner and everything seems fine except that I couldn't get the
key to go in because the command line key switch doesn't work like in
5.70. I downloaded Sun's Java and installed it (like their manual says)
and all I get is Java errors. Norman Tech Support emailed me the newest
signature files and they don't catch any of the viruses in quarantine
(all 3 weeks old or less). At this point it looks like:
I can't use Norman 5.60 because I can't update so it will catch viruses
and
I can't use Norman 5.70 because it stops MailScanner from working. I'm
guessing that they changed the output for 5.70 and it broke the
MailScanner script. Is anyone using Norman 5.60 or 5.70 on MailScanner
and they have it working?

3. I saw where the BitDefender Linux 7.01 command line is freeware for
any purpose and MailScanner supports it and their new signature response
is rated second at http://www.pcwelt.de/news/viren_bugs/37827/2.html
while ClamAV is the fifth and Panda is sixth. So I downloaded it and
installed it and I found that it doesn't break MailScanner and it scans
fine from the command line but when the wrapper tries to use it an error
message about a log file is given and it will not work. It updates fine
and they have updates available on their FTP server (which I like). Does
anyone have BitDefender 7.01 for Linux working with MailScanner? I'd
really like to get this one working. Is it possbile that a new wrapper
for BitDefender 7.01 could be created?

4. I downloaded F-Secure's 4.52 demo and I've seen that a lot people on
the list seem to be using it successfully. It installed OK and it
doesn't break MailScanner but the wrapper complains and gives a help
screen like the switches in the wrapper are missing and it never catches
anything. Is anyone using F-Secure 4.52 for Linux without problem?

5. I'm thinking of trying the demo of Eset NOD32 2.55 for Linux. Does
anyone have NOD32 2.55 working with Mailscanner?

I double checked all of the paths the virus.scanner.conf and they are
all correct. Norman, BitDefender and F-secure use symlinks from their
/opt directories.

I guess if I can't get any of these to work I could be satisfied with 2
working scanners.

Thanks for your help.

Mike Osborne
IS Director

--
These are written so that you may believe Jesus is the Christ, the Son
of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.