New install, clamav not running? - correction

S Joyce sjlist at HEIDELBERG.EDU
Sun Mar 14 14:09:41 GMT 2004

My apologies for the double post.  I need to correct my message below.  I
also have
Incoming Work Permissions = 0640 (not 0600, as originally indicated).

Also, no errors noted in syslog, and when I run in debug mode, I see
>Mar 14 09:03:03 nike MailScanner[17077]: Created attachment dirs for 7
>messages
>Mar 14 09:03:05 nike MailScanner[17077]: Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
>Mar 14 09:03:05 nike MailScanner[17077]: Commencing scanning by clamav...
>Mar 14 09:03:05 nike MailScanner[17077]: Completed scanning by clamav
>Mar 14 09:03:06 nike MailScanner[17077]: About to deliver 7 messages

But, still, clamscan never really runs.  Sorry for the correction.

=original post below=

Hello.  I am very new to MailScanner.  All I can say from my results so far
is, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Here's the setup:  Solaris 2.7, MailScanner 4.28.6, SpamAssassin 2.63,
ClamAV 0.67-1.  All binaries installed in "standard" directories.

The problem:  I don't think MailScanner is ever invoking "clamscan" to
perform a virus check.  I never see any clamscan processes running, nor do
I see a "clamav.$$" directory ever appear in /tmp.

I have

Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming   (same partition as
mqueue and mqueue.in)
Virus Scanning = yes
Virus Scanners = clamav
Incoming Work Group = clamav
Incoming Work Permissions = 0600

I'm not trying to use the Perl ClamAVModule, just the regular ClamAV.

When I test the wrapper on the command line, it calls clamscan just fine,
and the temporary directory is indeed created (and then deleted, per that
script).  That is to say,

/opt/MailScanner/lib/clamav-wrapper  /usr/local  /tmp

works, but the MailScanner processes themselves never seem to invoke ClamAV
to do any scanning.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  TIA for any advice you can
offer.  (BTW, even without Clam running, MailScanner has helped immensely
simply by virtue of trapping known bad filename extensions.  Thanks!)

SJ
sjlist at heidelberg.edu