MailScanner/SpamAssassin problem

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Sun Mar 14 04:45:01 GMT 2004

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, at 04:09  PM, Dan Williamson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't figure out why these emails from this very prolific spammer is
> getting through MailScanner without being scanned by SpamAssassin.
>
> I've tried adding the return address "moosq.com" to the blacklist, but
> they
> still continue to get through without being scanned.
>
> Other emails are being checked, except from this one.  There is no
> mention
> of him in the whitelist.  The IP address is not whitelisted either.  Is
> there anything unusual from the mail headers from one of the emails?
> The
> received address, daemon at localhost looks like a problem to me.

I'm blacklisting moosq in my
/etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.blacklist.rules file like this:

From:           *@*.moosq.com           yes
From:           donotreply at paypal.com   yes
From:           adv at sheck-buy.com       yes
FromOrTo:       default                 no

I'm having a lot of luck with this.  The number in front of ".moosq"
changes a lot, so I use a wildcard.
Be sure in MailScanner.conf you have:

# Spam Blacklist:
# Make this point to a ruleset, and anything in that ruleset whose value
# is "yes" will *always* be marked as spam.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Is Definitely Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.blacklist.rules

Mark Nienberg