bayes problem

Rob Freeman sysadmin at FLEETONE.COM
Fri Mar 12 14:53:09 GMT 2004

Ok MailScanner guru's, I need some help.  I seem to have a problem when
writing to my bayes:

Mar 12 08:41:54 ARAGORN spamd[1704]: info: setuid to root succeeded
Mar 12 08:41:54 ARAGORN spamd[1704]: Still running as root: user not
specified with -u, not found, or set to root.  Fall back to nobody.
Mar 12 08:41:54 ARAGORN spamd[1704]: processing message
<1c7a01c40840$24bfdf60$45a610ac at fleetone.com> for root:99.
Mar 12 08:41:54 ARAGORN spamd[1704]: cannot write to
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_journal, Bayes db update ignored

I have tried to change rights under /root to allow writing to the
bayes_journal file, and even changing rights to the .spamassassin folder
with no luck.  I am assuming this is since it falls back to the nobody user.

I tried to edit the /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf file and
added:

bayes_path                 /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes
bayes_file_mode            0600

I also tried to change SpamAssassin User State Dir =
/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin and restart with no luck.

I am at a loss.

Please help the mentally challenged this Friday.

Rob