Mailscanner, ClamAV on FreeBSD question

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Thu Mar 11 22:54:46 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

Just have a few questions regarding MS, ClamAV on FreeBSD 4.9 box.
I downloaded the latest release of MS through the FreeBSD ports tree
(4.28-5 I believe)...as well as installing ClamAV 0.67. I flipped through
the documentation on setting up ClamAV to work with MS. Seems pretty
straight forward, but Just want to clear up a few things.

In mailscanner.conf, i specified clamav as the virus scanner. I then edited
the virus.conf file to reflect the correct location of where clamav is
located. Originally, it had the following:

clamav          /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper   /usr/local/

I changed that to the following:

clamav          /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper
/usr/local/bin/clamscan

Wasn't sure if that was correct or not. Thought i'd ask.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here. Im getting my feet wet
with both MS and ClamAV. After installing the clamav port, I have the
option to setup a few additional things in my /etc/rc.conf. Specifcially:

clamav-milter
clamav-freshclam (which is for updating virus def's)
clamav-clamd

Milter is obviously for sendmail, which is the MTA I am running by the way.

I wasn't sure if I needed to have clamd or milter start up before MS, like
on a reboot? Or does MS automatically call it when it needs to scan a email?
I'm just trying to understand how to call clamav correctly for use with MS.

I appreciat the help.

Great product BTW. I'm really digging everything. Kudos to Mr. Field.

Cheers,

Jason