Blacklisting by server hostname

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Thu Mar 11 23:12:36 GMT 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Julian Field wrote:

> >A question that I would like to see clarified is that of "addresses"
> >blocked in spam.blacklist.rules.  My understanding from the
> >MailScanner/rules/EXAMPLES and README files is that you can block based on
> >patterns that match e-mail addresses or IP addresses.  I think it should
> >be clarified whether e-mail addresses are matched based on the envelope
> >address or the From: address in the message header.  I assume that it is
> >based only on the envelope sender address - as with say a sendmail access
> >file blacklist.  Is that correct?
>
> They are blacklisted by the IP address on the far end of the SMTP
> connection to the MailScanner server.

That is clear from the examples.  However it is not clear what is meant
by blocking "*@spammers.com".  Will that block:

        From spammer at spammers.com (ie envelope sender address/UNIX From line)
or
        From: spammer at spammers.com (ie header From: address)

When blocking using an MTA, it is only the envelope sender that is used,
as the From: address appears in the DATA phase of the SMTP transaction.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service