Most wanted FAQ's

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Thu Mar 11 19:16:52 GMT 2004

Ugo,

In the upgrade section I would add:
- Make a backup copy of your current MailScanner (Linux):
  cp -a /etc/MailScanner /etc/MailScanner.$(date +%Y%m%d)
  cp -a /usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/lib/MailScanner.$(date +%Y%m%d)
  cp -a /usr/sbin/MailScanner /usr/sbin/MailScanner.$(date +%Y%m%d)
- Check for errors in your maillog after restarting MailScanner (Linux):
  tail -f /var/log/maillog | grep MailScanner     or
  tail -100 /var/log/maillog | grep MailScanner

About customizing SA:
- I modified a little bit the routine I posted to
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/86.html:
  1- modify /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
  2- copy /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf into
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
  3- test it with spamassassin --lint
  4- reload MS if no error
- Also you should mention the rules files available at
http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets.  They really enhance SA's
score
- You should also mention why someone should use SA and what
spam/high-scoring score is recommended

About the optimization:
- no sync in syslog (change /etc/syslog.conf):
  #mail.*     /var/log/maillog
  mail.*      -/var/log/maillog
then restart syslog: service syslog restart
- make sure pyzor knows its servers: create /etc/cron.daily/pyzor with:
  #!/bin/bash
  pyzor discover

You should also mention the UTF-8 bug on Linux (mostly RedHat/Fedora)
and the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file.

Also make sure to mention that having more than one version of Perl on
the system will mostly get people into trouble.

Good job!

Denis

--
  _