Problem with splitted messages

Thu Mar 11 17:47:19 GMT 2004

Hi!

> >>Nice call, I noticed the same behavior and had to back off splitting
> >>messages with Sendmail before MailScanner had a chance to process them.

> > Uhm i also do splitting, on a high volume server. I didnt see this. could
> > it be due to a sendmail version? Just asking since i didnt encounter this.

> I didn't see it either. :-)
> When you ls -l in /var/spool/mqueue.in, do you see numbers > 1 in the
> second column?

I checked the inodes for the d* files are i see it also:

[root at vmx10 mqueue.in]# ls -ial
total 21972
1635259 -rw-------    6 root     root         1823 Mar 11 18:42
dfi2BHfGOp017214
1635259 -rw-------    6 root     root         1823 Mar 11 18:42
dfi2BHfGOr017214
1635259 -rw-------    6 root     root         1823 Mar 11 18:42
dfi2BHfGOs017214
1635259 -rw-------    6 root     root         1823 Mar 11 18:42
dfi2BHfGOu017214
1635259 -rw-------    6 root     root         1823 Mar 11 18:42
dfi2BHfGOv017214
1635268 -rw-------    1 root     root          925 Mar 11 18:42
qfi2BHfGOp017214
1635273 -rw-------    1 root     root          919 Mar 11 18:42
qfi2BHfGOr017214
1635272 -rw-------    1 root     root          921 Mar 11 18:42
qfi2BHfGOs017214
1635270 -rw-------    1 root     root          911 Mar 11 18:42
qfi2BHfGOu017214
1635269 -rw-------    1 root     root          919 Mar 11 18:42
qfi2BHfGOv017214

They indeed share the same inodes.

> Still, it's clearly a performance issue. Julian is looking into the
> locking code in MS to see if the df files could use a shared lock, which
> would eliminate the problem. Alternately, sendmail could probably be
> made to write the df files AS files.

If the shared locking will improve speeds with splitted messages that
would be just great.

Julian, any news yet on this? If you need a testbox for this just ring.

Bye,
Raymond.